Myths and misconceptions regarding mold

Mold is a type fungus that thrives on organic matter. Although it can be found indoors and outdoors, mold prefers to grow on moist surfaces. Mold spreads through the release of spores in the air. These spores are then inhaled by animals and humans who come in contact with them. Mold spores can cause severe reactions in people with allergies or other immune system disorders. It is important to understand the facts about mold. In this blog post, we will address some myths you may be believing.

Black mold is the most dangerous. 

All molds are harmful. While some molds can be more dangerous than others, all of them can have serious health consequences if inhaled or inhaled in large amounts over time. Many people believe that only black mold can be dangerous. Therefore, only black mold should be eradicated. You can still have health problems from molds that are white, grey or green.

Indoor mold only: 

Although it is less dangerous than indoor mold, outdoor mold should be removed as it can grow through windows and doors. You must keep your gutters clean and clear any standing water that could attract mold spores. Routine inspections don’t require a professional. Most hardware stores sell anti-mold sprays that you can apply yourself using a garden sprayer. If you don’t see improvement after just one application, it is time to call a professional.

Mold grows only on damp surfaces: 

Although mold can grow indoors and outdoors in dry or damp conditions, it is more common to see indoor mold growth when the surface is moist. Leakage from broken pipes, clogged drains with hair/debris or excessive humidity can cause mold growth behind walls. If molds are detected on dry surfaces, it is likely that there has been prior water damage. There is no single product that can kill all types of mold. Professional cleanup is the best way to get rid of high levels of mold.

All molds have a foul odor: 

You may notice a strong, musty smell if there is black mold in your home. However, not all molds emit this distinctive scent. It may be difficult to spot any smells depending on which species you have. Even if there’s no obvious source of moisture, it is important to identify water damage as soon as possible. Most molds only require one square inch of material to grow and can quickly establish themselves indoors.

If you have headaches or breathing problems, it is possible that you are allergic to mold. However, spores can cause severe reactions in people who are exposed to them outdoors. It is best to get out of the area as soon as possible. For personal protection, you should wear gloves, goggles and a mask if there is any visible mold growth. Mold can cause damage to your home goods and other items by releasing acidic particles. If you leave them unattended, they will only make matters worse. Leaks should be repaired immediately as moisture can lead to spore growth and costly damages.

Bleach kills mold: 

Many homeowners swear by bleach to remove mold. They don’t realize that bleach can only be used to kill the mold and not the whole problem. Although bleach is great for killing off mold, it won’t stop the spread of spores throughout your home.

Black mold can be treated with vinegar: 

Some companies may advertise that their product kills black mold using household products. It doesn’t say if they can remove water damage or treat future growth. These cleaners are usually basic in nature and contain hydrogen peroxide. This does little more than clean moldy surfaces. It is best to hire a professional who has the expertise and equipment necessary for dealing with high levels of mold.

You can leave moldy materials in your home for as long as you like:

Moldy materials left in high humidity or moisture will only encourage more spores and lead to higher levels of molds in the air. You should not leave the moldy material alone as it can lead to illness. You might also consider replacing any furniture that is damaged. Some pieces might still have mold spores even after being cleaned, but at lower levels. These aren’t enough to cause serious health problems but you need to be aware that mold spores can live in any material, including fabrics and gypsum wallboard.

Mold remediation is possible without the need for a professional. 

No! Mold remediation requires professional attention. You cannot DIY mold removal, despite what the commercial products may say. It’s time for a professional if you find any type of mold.

The fascinating topic of mold is often misunderstood in the media. This post will help you to understand mold and how to deal with it in your home or workplace.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button